What is the Most Common Cause of a House Fire – Fire Damage Restoration
House fires are a frightening thing, and they materialize more regularly than people might think. The National Fire Protection Association has reported that there are more than 300,000 house fires a year in the United States, and they are responsible for the deaths and injuries of firefighters and civilians. Along with this data, businesses like Paul Davis have provided fire clean up services for many properties. The possibility of a house fire shouldn’t be disregarded, and that’s why it’s important to understand what the most common causes of house fires are. We’ve assembled a list of the most common fire risks so that you can avoid a fire from occurring in your home.
Being Distracted in the Kitchen
Preparing meals in the house is one of the primary culprits to house fires, especially when no one is there to oversee the actions in the kitchen. A lot of properties have been in need of fire damage restoration services because of food being left on the stove with no one to watch it. It’s important to remain in the kitchen while preparing your meals, or to ask someone to watch it if you exit the room.
Your Electrical Accessories
Electrical appliances, such as toasters and portable heaters should be watched after and put in places that aren’t risky. Review your appliances to see if any of the cords are damaged, because that is a major fire hazard. Constantly make sure your electrical outlets are not being overused.
Candles in Your Room
Candles are nice objects to place around the house. They enhance your space and make your house fragrant, but they are also an extreme fire hazard. Keep your candles away from possible fire hazards such as magazines, papers and curtains, and always extinguish them when you leave the room.
When it comes to fire hazards, cigarettes are dangerous because they can drop on the floor and burn for a few hours. Leaving your home to smoke is the best way to avoid an accident from happening.
Any electrical problems in your home, such as damaged wiring, can expose your property to fire. This poses a problem because it’s not in plain sight, but there are some things you can watch out for to identify any faulty wiring in your house:
- Your lights dim when another appliance is in use
- You have to disconnect something in order for an appliance to work
- Your circuit trips frequently
If this is the case for you, fix the issue and get an electrician or call your landlord.
Having a grill may be an essential part of your house, and they’re a good thing to have throughout the summer months. Remember, it’s critical that your grill isn’t near anything that can catch on fire from it. Maintaining your grill is also crucial because the buildup in it can be a fire hazard. Additionally, you should examine the gas bottle consistently for leaks or other potential problems.
Kids in the House
Kids are normally curious, and fire can be intriguing for them. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach or hidden to avoid an emergency from arising. You can also teach them what to do in the incident of a fire and to memorize their address in case they need to call 911.
Placing Combustible Contents
Specific liquids should be kept away from any heat source, and you should always read the label to see if they are flammable.
Having a Christmas Tree in Your Residence
Christmas trees provide holiday festivities into the house, but they are also a big fire hazard. If you like having a live tree, you should cut off a small section from the trunk so the tree can absorb water. Watering your tree regularly and keeping it hydrated is also an essential step. One more thing you should do is turn off your Christmas lights when you go to bed. You could favor getting an artificial tree to rule out a fire hazard.
Dryers Not Being Cleaned
Fires generated from dryers are very prevalent, and that’s why it’s vital to keep them clean. To prevent your house from needing fire clean up services, always clean out the lint trap before using it again, and inspect the dryer duct regularly because lint can get stuck in there as well.
It’s impossible to get rid of all possible fire hazards, but knowing the most common causes of house fires can remove your risk significantly. If you have experienced any fire damage to your property, don’t hesitate to call a professional that offers fire clean up services, like Paul Davis. We are a fire restoration company that can get your residence restored back to its previous state.